- ? do you have to be 21 to play? is it alright with acoustic guitars?
- reply to this commentAnonymous (7/2009)
- Went to this last nite… these days they do a random lottery drawing for time slots, which has its plus and minuses. No need to get there before 7:30 (or really 8 pm, from what I saw). When they draw the numbers, you pick your slot. You get two songs, but things seem to move kind of slow, and there are one or two featured performers in the middle, which pushes things back. All the acts I saw were pretty good, but I ended up leaving before I could play since my luck was down and didn't get called until the end. I'll try it again though, there were some good people playing.
- reply to this commentt (11/2007)
I felt really unwelcome at this open mic. We got there first at 7:15 and signed up for the 9th spot. We sat there and watched AT LEAST 15 people go up ahead of us and get inserted into the list after everyone had already signed up. It also seemed that the majority of them were regulars or friends that had showed up late. They kept delaying our playtime saying "20 more minutes, 30 more minutes" and 3 hours later we still hadn't played. We got up and said everything you've just read to the host and said we were leaving. Then she looked us dead in the eye and said "that's the show we run. your loss."
That's the show they run.
- reply to this commentclosed mics shouldn't be called open mics (3/2007)
My all time favorite open mic ever.
Joan and George are the unstoppable team, and the Plough is a great spot, too.
I miss 'em.
- reply to this commentDan Lange (3/2007)
- There has never been a cover charge at the Starry Plough open mic, in Berk, CA… It has been hosted by Joan Pez & Girl George since june 30, 2000… Every one that signs up goes on… Get there early (like 7 pm)… For there's always at least 21 acts every tue… Theres a great crowd… The feature acts are there to give the best acts that come through a chance to shine… This is the best open mic anywhere… And i've played them all… Joan is very supportive too all the acts… Shes funny… And she gives out free beer… For right or funny answers… To trivia (written by Girl George) now if this is your first time on stage… This is a great place to start… The audience loves new comers here… Or if you've been doing it for 100 years (like girl george)… They love getting down with something thats going on… Even if you just like to watch… Its a great show… Try it, you'll like it… Merry xmas…
- reply to this commentGirl George (12/2006)