Good players show up at this long-running open mike (1991 - ?). Neophytes welcome. We have a good sound system and a good sound man.
First-time open mikers get an automatic early welcome slot. Played here before? Throw your name in the hat and take your chances.
Open mikers must pay $3 for two songs. This fee goes to the Cantab to help pay our way.
There's a feature act from 9:15 to 9:45. I pass the hat for the feature, $5 is suggested.
All kinds of music are welcome.
Spoken word and stand-up not so much.
Electric bands usually let me talk them into plugging electric instruments into the PA and bringing an abbreviated drum-kit or hand percussion.
We have no back line.
Crowds are respectful although there is always some talking at the bar. Sound is off on all TVs. Crowds tend to be smaller in summer, better in winter.
The Cantab is at the north end of colorful Central Square and has nearly constant foot traffic.
Food but not drinks may be brought into the Cantab. There are many good inexpensive restaurants on our block… Mexican… Middle Eastern… vegetarian / vegan… African… Indian… subs pizza good burgers… and they all provide take-out.
The Cantab is 21+.
- ? is it upstairs or downstairs for the upen mike, can I bring a electric jazz guitar?
- reply to this commenthector (3/2012)
Names put into hat at ~7:45, and put on list. Later arrivals can sign list after that, space permitting.
And, yeah, it's an outstanding open mike.
- reply to this commentRichard Goldman (3/2012)
- do u need to sign up in advance or just show up early?
- reply to this commentmike hartnett (8/2011)
- Geoff is a good man and this is a bonafide open mike. It is worthy to attend as either player or a listener.
- reply to this commentAnonymous (12/2009)
- ? is there a piano or keyboard at this open mic?
- reply to this commentKat (9/2009)