- My first time playing here was sept 12, 2012. It's a mostly electric show with quite a few talented players. You can pretty much have any backing you want. I had keys, harmonica, drums and bass back me and I thought it sounded pretty good. I would say the only tough part is it's hard to hear how loud you are singing with that wall of sound… my tendency is to yell lyrics instead of singing them. I only got to play two songs. On my third song, the backing band took a smoke break and I thought I would just solo my last song. Then a new drummer jumped in and completely overpowered my guitar to the point I just hung it up half way through. I hate when drummers feel the need to be the dominant presence. I had a good time and I would like to play there again but the time you get is not very equal to the previous acts. I would say this format is a little closer to an open jam than it is open mic because it's pretty free form. I did not like it when a performer decided to come up to tell me my set is over when that's normally the host's domain. It made it seem like the performers were running the show, not the host. I prefer it when the host exerts more control. The host Jon is a great lead guitar player and I really loved the harmonica player, bassist and first drummer that backed my set. Thanks guys, I had a blast on those two songs.
- reply to this commentDave Kraft (9/2012)
- ? Can comics perform too?
- reply to this commentTom Whalen (7/2012)
- ? I am a poet and im looking to do some spoken word.Is tha an option in your open mic.?
- reply to this commentMr. Abrahams (6/2012)
- ? Is this still going?
- reply to this commentBrian Farley (1/2012)
- ? Is this still hoppin'? Is it worth the drive from York for a drummer who's looking for new band prospects?
- reply to this commentJTH (9/2011)
- How old are you and what kind of music do you play?
- reply to this commentJulian (7/2012)
- ? I would like to know what style of music is played at the open mic night. I would like to sing but I don't have a band do the Rec Room have a house band that could back me up? I am glad the Rec Room have an open mic. night. It is needed. I would like to jam with others and just have fun.
- reply to this commentrena (8/2011)
- ? i would like to know the type of music that can be performed. i am a local hip hop artist seeking places to perform and expand my following
- reply to this commentwill (6/2011)
Bands, solo singers, everyone is welcome. Backline: Drums, bass amp, mic, PA. Guitarists/bassists from your instruments, guitarists bring a little amp if possible. House Band can back you up!
Come to the Rec Room and enjoy some crazy drink specials, half price burgers, and impromptu face melting jams by some of the area's best and brightest musicians.
- reply to this commentDavid Frieman (2/2011)