Old Whitten Tavern
HOME AWAY FROM HOME,
This was by far the most welcoming and hospitable open mic that I have ever been to. I was unable to book a show in Memphis and figured what the hey, I'll stop in at the Old Whitten Tavern for their open mic. Best decision i've made on this trip.
When I walked through the door Susie Salley welcomed me immediately and told me to make myself at home. The show began with Susie's husband Bob, performing some seriously amazing classical style guitar works. Susie came up after and blew me away with some beautiful lyrics and amazing vocals. As great as these two musicians were, they made sure that everyone had an equal amount of time to perform and that everyone was heard. The audience was more than receptive to each performer. Everyone performed three songs and then they repeated the line up until the bar was closed.
Susie and Bob even invited us to stay with them that evening. Honesty the room was full of great people but the two hosts really make this open mic worth it.
If you are in the area, you have to go to this Open Mic!
- reply to this commentSteven Paul Ploog (6/2014)
- ? Hello! I'm an aspiring Elvis Tribute Artist and will be ariving in Memphis some time after 2pm tomorrow afternoon. I would like to know if your establishment has a cover charge to enter. I'm traveling on a very limited budget. Thank You very much.
- reply to this commentRoy Walton Jr (10/2013)
- Hi, folks. I'm a musician - (12 string guitar finger picking. blues/ragtime/acoustic Americana). I'll be coming through Memphis in a month or so and I'd love to stop by. What time is signup, how many songs, anything else I should know?
- reply to this commentFrank James (3/2013)