1) Can they provide 3 vocal mikes?
2) Can they provide 3 lined instruments channels?
3) What’s the start and end time of the whole open mike?
4) What’s the sign-up process and when and how to sign up (in person, web, etc)?
5) What’s the duration of play (by time? by number of songs? etc)
6) Are there outlets on stage?
- reply to this commentjoe losardo (6/2014)
- I wholeheartedly second the comments of "Sheltered Turtle/Henry Nam." This is my favorite open mic, and is the best part of my week, every week. Come out and support a wonderful venue and the great staff running it.
- reply to this commentMarc Taylor (12/2013)
Ardmore Milkboy is now "MELODIES" (as of 8/1/2013).
The open mic is STILL ON for Tuesdays!
Same day, same time, same address, but sign up is primarily done by email: email@example.com (as early as Midnight, the evening before). Just make a request for 1st or 2nd half of the show.
- reply to this commentMarc G. Taylor (10/2013)
If only all open mics were like this! Everything is run smoothly and fairly. The audience is open and supportive, the talent is good and varied, and people generally seem to have a great time!
Host Mike Shax (who's funny and very friendly!) opens the night with a number before going down the list. You can sign-up there or by e-mail (which is preferred; go to http://www.milkboycoffee.com/open-mics). Each person gets 2 songs or 10 minutes, whichever comes first. About half way through the night, there's a featured act who gets a little longer set. Established regulars as well as traveling artists occupy this spot. Milkboy keeps a person manning the sound board throughout the night, so everything sounds balanced and kept at a good volume.
There's no cover charge for performers or audience members (but please support venues like this and grab a drink and/or bite to eat!). Milkboy Coffee (not to be confused with the Bryn Mawr or Philadelphia locations) has a great selection of food and drinks. They offer tables, booths, and couches to enjoy the food, drinks, and music.
I definitely recommend this for acoustic acts (which comprises the bulk of the artists performing). While the stage is decently sized for a coffee shop, a full, guitar-wailing electric band would be too loud and wouldn't quite fit-in with the vibe of the venue.
- reply to this commentSheltered Turtle (Henry Nam) (5/2013)
- will show up tonight, will perform if you want me. Thanks Mike
- reply to this commentmarko henry the poet (4/2013)