Due to popularity and increased demand we’ve had to implement some changes. People were getting to the venue hours early to sign in, causing a great deal of animosity between those who were able to arrive early, and those who work a normal day shift.
- Open Sign Up starts at 7:05 pm.
- ANYBODY ARRIVING PRIOR TO 7:PM may place their name in the “Early Arrival Lottery Box”
- NO GROUPIE OR SPOUSAL SIGN- INS.
- At 7:pm I start pulling names our of said “Early Arrival Lottery Box”
- YOU MUST BE PRESENT WHEN YOUR NAME IS CALLED, if you are not there, we move on, sorry
- When your name is called, you may sign up for any available time slot for that evening
- Time slots are 15 min.
- Once all the names have been pulled from the “Early Arrival Lottery Box”, the list is open to whoever walks thru the door and wants a time slot.
- Historically, by the time we get done pulling names out of the “Early Arrival Lottery Box” we have the list full till around 10:30.
- LATE COMERS WELCOME
- In the case of an overly overburdened “Early Arrival Lottery Box”, the host reserves the right to place an act before the normal 7:30 time slot. (this has happened on more than one occasion)
NEW RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
- Thursday nights is LADY’S NIGHT
- To show appreciation for the fairer gender (and because I’m tired of 15 acts of 1 man with a guitar) ANY FEMALE ACT that has not played the GAR Hall the previous month can bypass the “Early Arrival Lottery Box” and sign in whenever they get there.
- FEMALE SIGNING IN MUST BE A MAJOR SUPPORTING MEMBER OF THE GROUP OR DUO (a drunken girlfriend not able to keep tempo with a tambourine IS NOT a major supporting member! Please don’t try to cheat the system)
- PLEASE REFRAIN FROM MULTIPLE STAGE APPEARANCES ( Ginger should not sign up with Mary Anne if Mary Anne is on the list to play with Ginger later in the evening)
- You get 15 min. of stage time, NOT 15 min OF SONG TIME. If you take 10 min on stage to tune up, you’ve got 5 min left to play.
- We have been instructed to not allow any more live animal acts.
- No pyrotechnics
- Full Bar Services Available on the lower lever, however, drinks are allowed on the main floor.
- Please leave your egos in the parking lot.
For more information, please read the “GUIDELINES” under the ‘ABOUT’ tab of the:
“3rd Thursday Open Mic @ the GAR Hall” group site on FaceBook.
And as always, thank you for supporting live local music.
Your host, emcee, photographer, sound man, stage manager and master of ceremonies of the 3rd Thursday Open Mic @ the GAR Hall:
David B. Nicholson
Acoustic Entertainer, A.O.T.
- reply to this commentDavid Nicholson (5/2013)
Great question Ms. Valley:
Although we have yet to have an acapella act, we do not discriminate against them either. Furthermore, if you are so inclined, feel free to stop in early and discuss your composition with either myself or one of the many talented musicians. Most of those in attendance are pretty good swimmers and would not mind helping out in the least. So I’m sure that - if you’re willing - there is always the chance for some spontaneous collaboration.
Also, if you are able, 3rd Thursdays at the GAR Hall are “Ladies Night”. If you are a female act that has not played the previous month, you may sign in on the signup sheet at the time you arrive. You do not have to wait for the lottery or wait till 7:pm to sign up.
Feel free to join the “3rd Thursday Open Mic @ the GAR Hall” group on FaceBook and see the “Guidelines” under the “ABOUT” tab of the main group page. This venue had gotten quite popular, so we’ve had to implement some standard rules of engagement.
Thanks for your interest and for supporting live local music.
- reply to this commentDavid Nicholson (4/2013)
- ? I'm glad to see that the host is an avid singer/songwriter and encourages original music. I too write my own songs but I'm not a musician. Do you get many acts that sing acapella? (sp?)just wondering, I'm very interested in performing some of them at GAR Hall.
- reply to this commentLisa Valley (4/2013)
- I have been to about a half dozen of the open mics at G.A.R. Hall. It is one of the best venues I have ever attended and I plan to do more in the furure.
- reply to this commentJerry Allen (10/2012)
- This open mic regularly draws a substantial audience which is extraordinarily attentive and supportive. As a result, the performer turnout is also extraordinary. Its often the case that an act(s) which shows up in time for the 7PM sign-up drawing will end up playing after 11PM (after most of the crowd has left). I've suggested a possible solution for making participation less of a time-slot gamble for newbies and less frequent participants, but the original sign-up method (a drawing for all acts present at 7PM) is still in use at this date.
- reply to this commentGary Hall (10/2012)