This open mic is decidedly bad-ass. Everyone seemed to agree that my partner and I were there on a particularly great night, but the bar was packed, the volume was hot and the talent was ferociously good. Some great jams on washtub bass and harmonica - and the host, Shane Speal, is nothing short of amazing on his home-built cigar box guitars.
For the question below, I doubt that there's any tolerance for an under 21 crowd here. Also for those of us from non-smoking states, you could cut the atmosphere in there with a knife - it's like everyone who's been thrown out of every other bar across the country came here and lit up - but somehow it's completely appropriate for the music. This is grungy, joyous, dirt-rocking at it's finest, and I mean that as a HUGE compliment.
- reply to this commentrob ilyAIMY (9/2011)
My daughter Keirsten is 12 yrs. old and performing. Is she able to participate and if so do we need to sign up?
- reply to this commentholly bankert (4/2011)
- Hi Holly, unfortunately, this is strictly a bar situation and under 21 would not be able to be in the establishment to the best of my knowledge. I no longer host this open mic. Shane Speal is the host. You could contact First Cap to confirm about the age restrictions. There is an open mic occasionally at The Wagon Shed (at Hostetter's Stringed Instrument Repair in Shrewsbury) that welcomes performers of all ages (look them up online). Wish you well! Scott
- reply to this commentScott Platts (4/2011)
- hey scott, i'm thinking about coming up from gettysburg. Is there a chance you won't get to play, due to the amount of people signed up?
- reply to this commentthomas (1/2009)
Open Mic. Quality PA system, fun musicians, awesome bar and the best open mic audience I
- reply to this commentScott Platts (10/2008)