The Towpath Cafe
- Great place to play. Upscale environment. Crowd builds up around 8---best to play a bit later in the order than earlier. If you arrive at 7, you should get on within the first five slots or so. The only downside is that every last Thursday of the month they do this "Featured Artist" thing where they let 2-3 people sign up for open mic and then the rest of the night is sucked up into some featured artist. That doesn't exactly seem to be in the true spirit of an open mic, and would be more suited to a different night. There are a variety of hosts week to week and all are friendly and talented. Awesome place to play!
- reply to this commentSteven Choi (4/2012)
- I am sad to report that my good friend Tim Shea recently passed away from cancer. Johnny Lucas, another friend is carrying on in Tim's memory as host. Hours are 7-9:30
- reply to this commentSteve (4/2010)
- winter hours are now in effect. thursdays open mic starts at 6:00 and ends at 8:30 pm. tim shea and maynard alternate hosting duties. would love to see more songwriters come out and perform new works! all ages as well
- reply to this commentwayne (11/2008)
- Crowd is very light at 7 pm, picks up by 7:30. Performers tend to be young, but the occasional older adult appears. Signup is not competitive. Usually three songs each, sometimes there is time for additional playing after everyone takes a turn.
- reply to this commentGary Gocek (8/2008)