It didn't happen. Several people had gone to the open mic and sat through some pretty mediocre acts. There were people there from out of town and had gone to Exedus specifically for the open mic. We had never been there before and were interested in performing.
The organizer was aware we were there for open mic and switched her mind last minute with a really lame excuse. There were others who also came there for the open mic and the organizer was not pleasant about returning their money.
If they are going to advertise this as an open mic then they should allow it to happen for everyone and not just allow friends to perform during their "feature" acts. The feature basically lip-synced to his own recording and was really late getting started.
Overall, a poorly run and non-welcoming atmosphere. It should not be advertised as an open mic- it isn't true.
- reply to this commentJBeatz (9/2005)
- I know what you mean, sounds like they took the "open" part out of open mike. Seen this scenario play out a couple times. Makes you wonder why call it open mike at all. Sounds like a house band plus friends scenario.
- reply to this commentDave Kraft (11/2012)
- open mike for reggae and hip-hop
- reply to this commentRob Reid (1/2005)