Great Thursday night spot for songwriters.
- Host is an animated dude, very welcoming, very spirited.
- Original music only. Public domain is allowed, but it's mostly songwriters showing what they've got.
- If you signed up for a time slot, you get 2 songs or 8 minutes. If you signed up as an alternate, 1 song or 4 minutes.
- No sound system. People just get in front of the room and play.
- They have house guitars, but it's hit and miss whether they'll be in working order. They have a wall piano too.
- People sit quietly and listen.
- Signing up can be difficult. Most acts sign up the week before, so it fills up fast. If you call a few hours before the show, you can probably get on as an alternate (meaning you'll probably get on for at least one song).
- Food is good--curry bowls, tuna melts, turkey sandwiches, etc.
The people at this open mic are mostly regulars, but they welcome newcomers and they're a supportive crowd. This is a great spot for people trying to hone their songwriting skills.
- reply to this commentJohn H. (3/2015)
I played here again last week, visiting SF from Michigan. Good hosting. Good food. Friendly crowd. Recommended.
Sign up VERY early - at 5:40pm main list and alternates were full - although there were quite a few no-shows and the current host (Tom) fit me in early, so my friends could hear me.
- reply to this commentIra McDonald (2/2013)
- I played here tonight, visiting town from the Michigan. Very good hosting. Good food! Very warm crowd and musicians. Recommended.
- reply to this commentIra McDonald (4/2011)
- I played a couple songs last night (Thursday, Dec 2, 2010). Thank you Robyn for hosting this charming open mic. For all you musicians, this place has a nice upright piano and a house acoustic guitar (should you be in need). It's 2 original songs. There is no amplification, but the café has pretty good acoustics and attentive listeners. I recommend emailing in advance to sign up (see website), or arrive 30 mins early to get on the list. It fills up and they don't go late. -Ryan O'Toole
- reply to this commentAmateur Blonde (12/2010)
- A fun little café with some very talented musicians.
- reply to this commentRobyn Niblock (4/2010)