- I am a hip hop/rap artist by the name of Muhammad, and i am seeking to perform @ the open mic night @ your venue. My question is what are thee requirements?
- reply to this commentmuhammad (2/2015)
I fist started hitting the open mics at 19 Broadway in the 1980's with Chuck Day and Rocky leading the charge. I have to say this was a pivotal time for me. Some Monday nights you'd be playing to just a handful of regulars but then it grew and it was a scene that gave me a chance to work with other musicians and find my own way. Back then we didn't have house mixers and the sound was raw but good. It was a small venue and even today my Fender Twin still carries the scars and the smell of cheap booze and cigarettes (ugh) but I have to say 19 Broadway was where I would be every Monday night for a few years. I met and played with some famous people there and it helped me gain the confidence to move to bigger venues. It may have changed but back then it was a friendly and welcoming place to be on Monday nights and the crowd was always in your corner. There was a lot of love in that place and I miss those times. I still have the 19 Broadway T-shirt but won't wear it because I don't want to wear it out. It just sits in my drawer year after year as a reminder of when I was coming up. Great club. Dave Steffan used to come in there and jam and man, those were some smokin' hot nights. He's still on the circuit and if you catch him you will know what I'm talking about. We tore it up together a few times. And thanks to Chuck Day (R.I.P.) and Rocky for holding down the rhythm section… Paul Liberatore, The Mole, Timothy Harning, Tom Edwards, Martine Fierro, Howie Specter, Peter Tork, et al… solid players all.
Thank you 19 Broadway for being there. Monday nights in Fairfax - awesome.
- reply to this commentJohn G (7/2010)
- ? 21 and over?
- reply to this commentalex (6/2009)
I am inquiring about sign ups for your Monday night open mic? I live in Sonoma county and would like to get some info about your show. I have just released a new CD, I'm always looking for fun and new connections, Let me entertain you!
- reply to this commentPeggy Day (1/2009)
- Please join us for a great Open Mic Venue! We have been featuring the best musicians from around the bay area & everywhere else for over 6 years! Bring your band for an "unplugged" type performance or just go solo. We use state of the art sound gear & your Host/Sound engineer will mix you to perfection! We supply all p.a. gear… You should bring Acoust./elect. guitars-bass guitars (small amps for electric bass guitars is a plus!) Also percussion gear and whatever will patch into our board! Many thanx
- reply to this commentDerek Smith (7/2008)